Eminent Domain

Generally government authority has the power to take one’s property under the power of eminent domain (condemnation). This can be done if the “taking” is for a public purpose. If it is, you are entitled to “just compensation”. As a property owner or tenant, it’s crucial to know you have rights to seek compensation over and above the amount initially offered. The Fifth Amendment provides that the government may only exercise this power if they provide just compensation to the property owners.

  • Review offer from municipality for eminent domain compensation

  • Determine whether or not to accept advance payment

  • File Notice of claim

  • Calculate highest and best use of property

  • If an appraisal is required, retain third party appraiser

  • If necessary, retain legal counsel to commence judicial proceeding (there is no additional fee)

  • Monitor eminent domain case throughout process and advise status

Ready to get started?

If you’re ready to get started, fill out this form to begin the process. If you have any questions or prefer to speak over the phone, call us at 914-348-9473 or email us below

Phone: 914-348-9473
Fax: 631-393-2837
10 Hub Dr # 5
Melville, NY 11747