Nassau County Property Tax Grievance

PLEASE NOTE: During the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak, our staff is working remotely and are fully available over the phone or by email during regular business hours. Please continue to contact us as usual with your commercial property tax grievance needs, and stay safe!

Nassau County Property Tax Grievance Information

The Nassau County Department of Assessment determines a tentative assessment for every property as of January 2, 2020. If you believe the assessment is inaccurate, you may appeal by filing an application for correction with the Assessment Review Commission by March 2, 2020.

UPDATE: The Assessment Review Commission (ARC) has agreed to provide a grace period for filing a grievance until Thursday, April 2, 2020.

Any person who pays property taxes in Nassau County can grieve an assessment, including:

  • property owners

  • contract vendees

  • tenants who are required to pay all of the property taxes pursuant to a lease or written agreement

If you miss the deadline for filing of the grievance, you cannot file for that year. However, we can help you to determine if you have any open prior tax years. If so, we can take over those tax years and negotiate them along with the current year for a tax refund. You must file by the deadline or you lose your chance to save money! NOT challenging your taxes can cost you thousands of dollars lost a year.

There is no upfront fee to grieve your Nassau county property taxes through Realty Tax Challenge (“RTC”). Once we have obtained a successful reduction, our fee is taken out of your return so there is nothing to lose:

  • Property tax rates in New York, especially in Suffolk and Nassau counties, are some of the highest in the nation!

  • The Disputed Assessment Fund (“DAF”) has resulted in substantial increases in tax rates throughout Nassau County.

  • Your taxes can never go up as a result of the filing of a grievance. It is actually against New York State law for taxes to be raised due to a grievance filing.

  • It is always worth it to have RTC professionally grieve your Nassau County property taxes. We don’t make any money unless we obtain a reduction so we will make sure you get the best reduction possible!

  • We handle the full process for you – from filing the initial application, submission of all supporting documents and any interactions with the Nassau County Assessment Review Commission (“ARC”).

  • Even if you have been denied previously, it has no impact on a new grievance application. Comparable values change each and every year, so you should file an appeal annually.

Speak With a Tax Assessment Consultant Today

Call us at 914-348-9473
We can answer any questions you have, and get you started on the tax grievance process right away!

If you own commercial property in New York State, you are eligible for formal review of your assessment. Commercial properties include office buildings, hotels, malls and department stores, supermarkets, Big Box stores, retirement and senior living communities, hospitals, storage facilities, golf clubs, country clubs, movie theaters, recreational facilities and more.

RTC will review your property to determine the value of your real estate portfolio, walk you through the commercial real estate grievance filing process, and keep you updated every step of the way.

  • Step 1: Find out what the assessor’s estimate of the market value of your property is by going here:

  • Check your assessment every year prior to the appeal deadline

  • Step 2: Let RTC, experts at understanding real property values in Nassau County and with over 25 years of local commercial real estate experience, obtain the highest reductions for you.

  • Step 3: After our evaluation of your properties, if it appears that you are over-assessed, our office shall submit a grievance application on your behalf and begin the process of reducing your taxes. Assessors do not determine your property taxes, they can only assist with helping to assess the value of your property. If you find that your property’s actual value is lower than the assessed value that the town or municipality has given you, you will need to go before the assessor and the assessment review commission. You file your grievance and try to get a reduction based on that filing. If that is denied, your remedy for that is to file an Article 7 petition, which needs to be filed within 30 days after the final roll is published.

Filing a grievance and challenging your property tax assessment is a process called tax certiorari. There are two levels of formal review:

  • Administrative review – the “grievance” process is conducted at the municipal level with the Assessment Review Commission (“ARC”)

  • ARC requests supporting financial documentation for submission or will schedule a conference.  Our office will review and submit the requested documentation and will appear on your behalf to negotiate the lowest assessment possible for you.

  • Judicial review – the “petition” is a legal pleading filed with Nassau County Supreme Court – If we are unsuccessful in our settlement negotiations, we will then prepare and submit an Article 7 Petition.  However, in order to pursue judicial review, you must first go through administrative review process

When you work with Realty Tax Challenge, we will guide you through the complete process. After providing the initial set of basic details, you can just relax and wait for us to update you on the status of your application. Once we have successfully obtained your Nassau County commercial property tax reduction, we work to obtain the refund of the overpaid taxes and ensure that the property tax bills are correct.

We handle the filing of tax grievances on behalf of businesses and corporations throughout Nassau County, including Atlantic Beach, Baldwin, Bayville, Carle Place, Cedarhurst, East Hills, East Meadow, East Rockaway, East Williston, Farmingdale, Floral Park, Freeport, Garden City, Great Neck, Hempstead, Hewlett Bay Park, Hicksville, Inwood, Island Park, Kensington, Lake Success, Lawrence, Long Beach, Lynbrook, Malverne, Manorhaven, Massapequa, Massapequa Park, Merrick, Mill Neck, Mineola, Munsey Park, Muttontown, New Hyde Park, North Hempstead, North Hills, Oceanside, Old Brookville, Old Westbury, Oyster Bay, Plainview, Plandome, Port Washington, Rockville Centre, Roslyn, Russell Gardens, Saddle Rock, Sea Cliff, South Floral Park, Syosset, Thomaston, Uniondale, Upper Brookville, Valley Stream, Westbury, Williston Park, Woodbury

Ready to get started?

If you’re ready to get started, give us a call today at 914-348-9473 or fill out this form to begin the process.

Phone: 914-348-9473
Fax: 631-393-2837
10 Hub Dr # 5
Melville, NY 11747